Saturday, February 11, 2012

Irish Oatmeal

My budget has significantly limited my cooking hobby. It makes me a little sad, but I figure I am spending my money on better things (like trips to San Diego!!).

The other day I did purchase Irish Oatmeal purely by accident. I didn't notice it when I checked out, but this was twice as expensive as steel cut oats (which is what I thought I was getting!). Oops.
Irish oats are even less processed than steel cut oats because they are not rolled. The outer husk is removed and then the oat is chopped, leaving it chewier and nuttier (also significantly more nutritious).

Ingredients for traditional Irish Oat Meal


Since I accidentally purchased the oats I decided to make it the traditional way following the recipe on the back. These oats took a longer time to cook and are served with buttermilk. I added blueberries and maple syrup and this was one of THE BEST breakfasts I have ever had!



Irish Oats For One

1) Bring 1 C of water to a boil and add 1/4 C oats.
2) Stir until the oats thicken and reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes
3) Serve with 1/4 C buttermilk, 1 T maple Syrup and 1/4 C blueberries



No comments:

Post a Comment